Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Last Frontier - Kitchen Shelf

As promised - here it is - a kitchen cupboard that refuses to be organized.

You can see that I have made previous attempts with this shelf. The challenge is that it is deep, pulls out but is at knee height. To really use the space effectively, I have to find tall containers to store the food that could then be labelled on top. That would make them easy to see, identify and ,hopefully, with the right size container, easy to access.

My strategy?

  • Pull everything out and completely empty the shelf. (Clean it while empty).
  • Assess what to keep and what to get rid of (don't use, don't need or is too old to keep).
  • Determine from what is left how many containers I need.
  • Get the containers. You may have your favourite source; one of mine is the Dollar Store. I have already determined a location to get the size and especially the height I need.
  • Fill up the containers.
  • Label.
  • Put everything back. I will make everything fit the space I have as there isn't any other space i our 1970's renovated kitchen for these items. They have to live in the space available.

Stay tuned for the after pictures!

No comments: